Serving the community for over 90 years

Blythburgh Village Hall was built (probably in the 1930s) on land owned by the Blois family which was sold to the owner of The Priory in 1953. The hall and land adjacent to it was leased to the Blythburgh WI for some years until given to them in 1993. The WI gave the hall to the Parish Council in 1999 and the hall was renovated to a high standard in 2001. An unsightly roof was replaced in September 2006.

In the period just before and after the Second World War, the hall was alive with children and adults. There were weekly or fortnightly dances with local bands and villagers mixing with local troops and the Americans stationed nearby. The wonderfully sprung Canadian maple floor was, and still is, a major attraction.

Socials were a big feature of village life in those days. Refreshments and evenings of singsongs, children’s games, adults doing their party pieces, songs and instrumental items, and stories, all helping to pull the village together in difficult times. While the village school was open, school concerts were held in the hall. Blythburgh whist drives were the ones to attend.

Blythburgh Village Hall is still in business as families celebrate birthdays and other family events. Local bands and societies use it as a rehearsal room or for their meetings. The hall has a newly refurbished kitchen, fine audio-visual equipment, and ample parking space.

The hall is owned by Blythburgh with Bulcamp and Hinton Parish Council who act as sole trustees, and the day-to-day running of the hall is deputed to a locally recruited Management Committee.